Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Leadership Conference...

I recently attended the Willow Creek Summit Leadership Conference at Eagle Brook Church in Lino Lakes. I was only able to attend Thursday all day and Friday morning, due to Burnsy's wedding. It was interesting and challenging, and really got me thinking about a lot of stuff.

Where am I in the lifecycle of a leader? I'd like to think that I am more than just passion. Am I? Do I have truly have the skills to do what I think I am doing? I hope so! I would like to think that I have the skills and the passion, and that I am training up other leaders. It was hard to hear Bill Hybels say that people in their 20s only have the passion. Why am I so defensive that I have more? Is it because I worked hard for my education and to be commissioned?

Do I cheat the church or do I cheat my family? I think I am pretty good about being responsible with my time. I work a lot, yes, but I am home alot as well. And Mike is sooo busy that we don't have a ton of time together so I think we value it even more when we are together. I also love my job, which makes it easier to work a lot. Why don't people think that life can be balanced? I know it won't be balanced all of the time, but sometimes it does feel right.

What is the deal with people still thinking men are more important than women. One of the speakers I really enjoyed, but the think that I will most remember is that he said husbands love your wives and wives submit to your husbands. What is that all about? I'm not fine with other faiths thinking that nor am I fine with hearing that. I am a strong, independent young woman who has learned to stand up for herself. Being repeatedly told that I am "just" a women or that I should submit to my husband (hopefully) won't affect me. But maybe it will. Psychology states that if you hear something over and over and over again you may come to believe it. I do not want to. I want to be a positive female role model for young women and men. But I do believe that we need more female role models in powerful roles at the church. And as speakers. I need to get over this fear of speaking and develop a presentation that is strong, effective, and motiviating to others in youth ministry.

and now, i'm going to go zone out in front of the tv, eat some rice, and wait for laguna beach to premiere. the producers was a horrible movie, don't waste your time with it.

No comments: