Sunday, March 11, 2007

Gustavus Poem

I found this when I was still working at Gustavus and fell in love with it. I'm always afraid I will misplace it, so perhaps this is the best place for it. I think Elvee wrote it, but I'm not sure.

Gusties! It is time for you to leave this little college on the hill.
Gustavus has been a home to you for four years.
You do not realize, in your haste to go just now,
That you are leaving a home. That you will come back
To this home, all your life.
Gustavus is a special kind of home, a mystical home.
You leave it today; still, you never really leave,
No matter where in this world you go.
All your life you will stay in it.
It appeared to you in your youth;
You will see it when you are old.
It is a Kingdom of Identity--keeper of dreams, expectations!

What was it you sought in this house? What vision?
What fair, gracious, beautiful thing did you dream?
The meaning of life? The conscience of history?
Blessedness? The kingdom of light and of God?
O Journey! O Faust! O Lord Jesus!
O golden ground of music!
O shing world of nature!
O GUSTAVUS!

No comments: