Thursday, January 25, 2007

stress and depression

A group of local churches are working together to put on an event for parents regarding stress, depression, and anxiety in youth. There have been multiple suicides in the community in the past 4 years and many people are, understandably, concerned. My concern is the swiftness in which many people are blaming the schools. The schools didn't discover/treat/understand the depression/stress/anxiety in the youth. That seems to be the prevelant trend in blame.
I'm realizing more and more that it is the parents that aren't discovering/treating/understanding their youth. I am amazed at how much parents don't know about their children and their children's friends. My parents knew pretty much all about me and my friends. Is this a new trend that parent's aren't as involved? Or is it that kids here seem to all have their own cars? And when they are with their parents they are listening to their ipods, playing on the psp, or some other such thing. I hardly ever see young people interact with their parents or other adults.
I wish that I could get up at this event and say, HEY! Parents! Are you paying attenting? are you setting boundaries? Are you following thru with the consequences? do you expect anything from your child or do you expect too much?
I attended a recent forum at the high school on "What is Normal?" (which I think is a great topic). The panel of high school youth, when asked about stress, responded that they feel stressed, but much of that stress is of their own doing. They put their own expectations high and expect to acheive great things.
Here are some excerpts from that session:

Are things that different than when parents grew up?
Kirsten D: More marijuana was smoked in 1978 than any other year but it’s stronger now.
Jackson (11): Yes, if your parents grew up in Africa.
Gail M: (Has twin daughters at SH) they watch TV, text, listen to Ipod while they do homework. Teens now can do 5 things / time. Get straight A’s.
Chelsea (11): February Teen Vogue – amount of homework up 50% since 1981.
Nicole (12): We’re constantly working, at school, at home, at work. It’s stressful.
Jackson (11): School, practice homework, bed. No time for relaxing.
Mitzi H: Watch for changes in behavior. If they’re sleeping more, crying, not eating the same, late to school, these are signs they’re stressed out and need some help.
Savanna (12): I didn’t talk to parents for a long time. Things built up until I broke down. Then I talked to them and I felt a lot better.
Alex (12): It’s nice when parents ask? Show they care. Kids go through emotional swings. Nice to talk w/friends.
Ryan (12): Its great to have one parent around to talk to, to ask for help.
Kristen D: Some kids talk, some don’t. Sometimes it’s not interesting to parents, but listen anyway because then someday they’ll tell you the really important thing you need to hear.

Last thoughts

Chelsea (11): Trust you kids with money, curfew, gaming… until trust is broken.
Alex (12): Always know you kid loves you even if they say they hate you. Make time to hangout w/them.
Jackson (11): Hangout w/your kids. My parents trust me. Listen and talk w/them.
Alison (11): Kids change.
Nicole (12): Don’t be afraid you’re losing them.
Ryan (12): Let them make little mistakes now. Let them try some things so they don’t go crazy when they’re out of high school.
John (10): One of the best things is when my parents five me a hug and tell me they love me. It’s nice to know they care about me.
Gail M: Since my kids were small, I’ve learned not to show shock. That shuts down communication. Don’t judge.
Kirsten D: When you’re tired, get up and spend time w/kids, play cards.
Wendy Lg: Stock pizza & pop. Have them all over to your house.
Dr. K: Listen to your children. They know what’s going on, how to solve problems.
Wendy L: Kids here are wonderful. When you really listen, you’ll learn a lot. So many great kids in this school.

It was interesting, but it didn't always feel like a completely honest conversation. I wonder how if would have been different if the crowd was smaller.

But it was awesome to have youth up there, being honest and spending time with parents.

No comments: